Druckenbrod, D., D. Martin-Benito, D. Orwig, N. Pederson, B. Poulter, K. Renwick, and H.H. Shugart. 2019. Redefining temperate forest responses to climate and disturbance in the eastern United States: new insights at the mesoscale. Global Ecology and Biogeography doi: 10.1111/geb.12876
* Dye, A., M.R. Alexander, D.A. Bishop, D. Druckenbrod, N. Pederson, and A. Hessl. 2018. Size-growth asymmetry is not consistently related to productivity across an eastern U.S. temperate forest network. Oecologia doi: 10.1007/s00442-018-4318-9.
* Trotsiuk, V., D. Druckenbrod, N. Pederson, D. Orwig, D. Bishop, A. Barker Plotkin, S. Fraver, and D. Martin-Benito. 2018. Testing the efficacy of tree-ring methods for detecting past disturbances. Forest Ecology and Management doi 10.1016/j.foreco2018.05.045.
Pederson, N., A.B. Young, A.B. Stan, U. Ariya and D. Martin-Benito. Accepted. Low-hanging DendroDynamic Fruits Regarding Disturbance in Temperate, Mesic Forests. In Dendroecology: Tree-ring Analyses Applied to Ecological Studies, M. Amoroso, L. Daniels, P. Baker, J. J. Camarero, Eds. (Springer). pp. 97-134.
Trouet, V., M. Domínguez-Delmás, C. Pearson, N. Pederson, and D. Rubino. Accepted. “Dendro-archeo-ecology” in North America and Europe: Re-purposing Historical Materials to Study Ancient Human-Environment Interactions. In Dendroecology: Tree-ring Analyses Applied to Ecological Studies, M. Amoroso, L. Daniels, P. Baker, J. J. Camarero, Eds. (Springer). pp. 365-394.
* Dye, A., A. Barker Plotkin, D. Bishop, A. Hessl, N. Pederson, and B. Poulter. 2016. Comparing tree-ring and permanent plot estimates of aboveground woody production in three Eastern U.S. Forests. Ecosphere.
Hessl, A.E., P. Brown, O. Byambasuren, S. Cockrell, C. Leland, E. Cook, B. Nachin, N. Pederson, T. Saladyga, and B. Suran. 2016. Fire and Climate in Mongolia (1532-2010 CE). Geophysical Research Letters doi:.
* Leland, C., J. Hom, N. Skowronski, F. T. Ledig, P. J. Krusic, E. R. Cook, D. Martin-Benito, J. Martin-Fernandez, N. Pederson. 2016. Missing Rings, Synchronous Growth, and Ecological Disturbance in a 36-year Pitch Pine (Pinus rigida) Provenance Study. PLOS ONE 10.1371/journal.pone.0154730.
* Trotsiuk, V., M. Svoboda, P. Weber, N. Pederson, S. Klesse, P. Janda, D. Martin-Benito, M. Mikolas, M. Seedre, R. Bace, D. Frank. 2016. The legacy of disturbance on individual tree and stand-level above ground biomass accumulation and stocks in primary mountain Picea abies forests. Forest Ecology & Management 10.1016/j.foreco.2016.04.038.
* Wang Y., N. Pederson, A. M. Ellison, H. Buckley, B. Case, E. Liang, and J. Julio Camarero. 2016. Increased stem density and competition diminishes potential positive effects of warming at alpine treeline. Ecology.
* Bishop, D., C. Beier, N. Pederson, G. Lawrence, J. Stella, and T. Sullivan. 2015. Regional growth decline in sugar maple (Acer saccharum) and potential causes. Ecosphere 6:art179.
Pederson, N., J.M. Dyer, R. W. McEwan, A.E. Hessl, C. Mock, D. Orwig, H.E. Rieder, and B.I. Cook. 2014. The legacy of episodic climatic events in shaping broadleaf-dominated forests. Ecological Monographs DOI: 10.1890/13-1025.1. – PDF
McEwan, R. A., N. Pederson, A. Cooper, R. Watts, and A. Hruska. 2014. Fire and gap dynamics over 300 years in an old-growth temperate forest. Applied Vegetation Science DOI: 10.1111/avsc.12060.
Druckenbrod, D.L., N. Pederson, J. Rentch, and E.R. Cook. 2013. A comparison of times series approaches for dendroecological reconstructions of past canopy disturbance events. Forest Ecology and Management 302: 23-33.
* Saladyga, T., A. Hessl, B. Nachin, and N. Pederson. 2013. Privatization, drought, and fire exclusion in the Tuul River watershed, Mongolia. Ecosystems DOI: 10.1007/s10021-013-9673-0.
*Douglas, D., D. Brown, and N. Pederson. 2013. Land snail diversity can reflect degrees of anthropogenic disturbance. Ecosphere 4:art28, DOI: 10.1890/ES12-00361.1.
Hessl, A. and N. Pederson. 2013. Hemlock Legacy Project (HeLP): a paleoecological requiem for eastern hemlock. Progress in Physical Geography 36: 1-16.
Esper, J., M. Nenz, and N. Pederson. 2012. Influence of wood harvest on tree-ring time-series of Picea abies in a temperate forest. Forest Ecology and Management 284: 86–92
Hessl, A.E., P. Brown, U. Ariya, O. Byambasuren, T. Green, G. Jacoby, E. Sutherland, B. Nachin, R. Maxwell, N. Pederson, L. De Grandpré, T. Saladyga, and J. C. Tardif. 2012. Report on fire history in central Mongolia International Journal of Wildland Fire. http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/WF10108
McEwan, R. W., J.M. Dyer and N. Pederson. 2011. Multiple interacting ecosystem drivers: toward an encompassing hypothesis of oak forest dynamics across eastern North America. Ecography 34: 244-256.
Pederson, N., J.M. Varner and B.J. Palik. 2008. Canopy disturbance and tree recruitment over two centuries in a managed longleaf pine landscape. Forest Ecology and Management 254: 85-95.
Pederson, N., R.H. Jones, and R.R. Sharitz. 1997. Age structure of old-growth loblolly pine stands in a floodplain forest. J. Torrey Bot. Soc. 124(2): 111-123.
Palik, B.J., R.J. Mitchell, G. Houseal, and N. Pederson. 1997. Competitive effects of overstory structure and seedling response in a longleaf pine woodland ecosystem. Can. J. For. Res. 27(9): 1458-1464.
Palik, B.J. and N. Pederson. 1996. Overstory mortality and canopy disturbances in longleaf pine ecosystems. Can. J. For. Res. 26(11): 2035-2047.
* = student research